One of the best things about WordPress is the ease with which you can instantly create a whole new look and feel for an entire site. Simply install a new theme and, presto, you have a completely different look to your website or blog.
WordPress themes act as templates for your site, giving you a uniform structure and appearance that can then be changed and customized to suit your specific needs. And, as with everything in WordPress, installing them is a breeze!
- Automatically install free themes from the WordPress Repository.
- Manually uploading free or premium themes from your hard drive via WordPress Admin.
- Using an FTP program.
- Login to your WordPress Admin area and click on Appearance » Themes » Install Themes tab.
- From the install screen you have several options for locating and installing the desired theme.
- Search for it by typing in specific keywords that are associated with it, like, the theme’s name, author, tag, etc.
- Search based on specific features, like, colors, number of columns, fixed or flexible width, etc.
- Browse Featured, Newest, or Recently Updated themes.
- After finding the theme you want, click the Install Now link.
- Once successfully installed, click on Activate Theme and enjoy the new look and functionality of your website.
- Login to your WordPress Admin area and click on Appearance » Themes » Install Themes » Upload.
- Browse to the location of the theme’s .zip file on your hard drive, then click the Install Now link.
- Once successfully installed, click on Activate Theme and enjoy the new look and functionality of your site.
Finally, for installing several themes at once, it is faster and easier to use an FTP program, like Filezilla.
- Download the theme to your hard drive.
- Extract, or unzip, the .zip file using native Windows/Mac unzipping programs, or the free 7-Zip.
- Using your FTP software, upload the unzipped folder containing all of the theme’s files directly into your wp-content\themes directory.
- Login to your WordPress Admin area and click on Appearance » Themes.
- Locate the newly uploaded theme and click on Activate Theme and enjoy!
- How to install a WordPress theme – Cryout Creations
- Top 5 Free WordPress Themes of the Month — June 2013 Edition – ManageWP
- Frequently Asked Questions for StudioPress Premium WordPress Themes (FAQ’s) – StudioPress
There you have it, installing WordPress themes is just that simple! The only hard part is in deciding which one is the best theme for your site.
If you are just starting out with WordPress, or are not looking to add a lot of features or make money with your website, then a free WordPress theme will work just fine. And, the best place to start looking for free themes is at the official WordPress theme repository.
However, if you are serious about starting an online business, then it is recommended that you purchase a premium theme with the features and support necessary to make your site a success.
What Do You Think?
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below. And please, spread the word by sharing this post with your friends on Twitter and Facebook. We’d really appreciate it.